Precautions After Cataract Surgery
When your cataract surgery is over, a variety of steps and safety measures will be needed to assist you recover properly and heal clear vision.
1. The Immediate Recovery
Your eye cosmetic surgeon will place a safety shield over your eye and keep you for a brief stay in the outpatient recovery location prior to you go home. It is essential that you have someone with you to drive you house, even if you just had the surgery on one eye.
- Your optometrist will offer you eye drops to prevent infection and inflammation. Utilize them as directed.
- Plan for return sees within a couple of days and once more within a couple of weeks. These are extremely important for your doctor to monitor your recovery.
- After your vision is steady, your eye surgeon might prescribe glasses if required. Even without restorative lenses, numerous patients report enhanced vision within a couple of days and can go back to work.
- It is possible that vision may be rather cloudy for approximately 3 months after cataract surgery. This is regular and need to subside as your eye heals.
2. The Longer Recovery
For the first several weeks after surgery, there are some safety measures your doctor will recommend to prevent damage or infection. The crucial thing is not to have any influence on the eye that would interfere with recovery. So prevent rubbing or pressing on your eye and stay away from any environment where something might strike your eye, such as a football field or basketball court.
- Avoid strenuous activity, bending, and heavy lifting
- Keep your eye closed while bathing and prevent having water splashed into it
- Do not take part in activities that might expose your eye to dust or other infection-causing toxins
You should call your eye surgeon immediately if you experience any of the following:
- Persistent pain that does not respond to medication
- Total vision loss
- Nausea, vomiting or excessive coughing
- Enhanced eye inflammation
If you have cataracts in both eyes, your doctor normally schedules a 2nd surgery for the other eye. This permits time for the very first eye to recover before the 2nd eye is treated.
How Much Can You Lift After Cataract Surgery?
Some surgeons may state that you can’t lift more than five to 10 pounds, while others no longer have this limitation.
How Many Days Rest Needed After Cataract Surgery?
Relax for the first two or 3 days after having cataract surgery. Start using the eye drops after removing the eye protection the day after your operation, and continue to use them up until you’re encouraged you can stop — they’ll normally be required for 4 weeks.
How Long Does It Take for My Vision to Stabilize?
The eye usually takes 3-4 weeks to support after cataract surgery. It is suggested that you wait till then to have a prescription made so as to permit the most stable outcome.
Last modified: January 11, 2018