Having red eyes is a typical issue. Eye redness that occurs after awakening or scrubing your eyes is normally harmless. Nonetheless, in some cases, having red eyes could be an indication of an underlying eye condition, calling for an eye examination.
Causes of Red Eyes
The eyes can take on a reddish appearance when the tiny blood vessels inside of them expand to allow more blood to flow. This happens when your eyes are subjected to contaminated air or an irritant, or if you’ve spent excessive time taking a look at a screen. Red eyes can also signify an underlying eye trouble, like dry eyes, conjunctivitis or glaucoma.
Wearing your call lenses for greater than the suggested time can likewise trigger your eyes to become red. Too much exposure to sunlight, eye trauma or injuries, and eye infections can likewise cause this issue, as can eating excessive alcohol, being a smoker and not getting enough rest.
When Should you Contact Your Doctor?
Most causes of eye redness don’t warrant emergency medical focus.
If you experience eye redness, you need to make a visit to see your medical professional if:
- your signs last longer than 1 week
- you experience modifications in your vision
- you experience discomfort in your eye
- you become conscious light
- you have discharge from one or both of your eyes
- you take medications that thin your blood, such as heparin or warfarin (Coumadin, Jantoven).
Even though a lot of causes of eye redness aren’t severe, you should seek emergency medical assistance if:
- your eye is red after trauma or injury.
- you have a frustration and have blurred vision.
- you start seeing white rings, or halos, around lights.
- you experience queasiness and throwing up.
How can the Symptoms of Eye Redness be Treated?
If your eye redness is brought on by a clinical condition such as conjunctivitis or blepharitis, you might be able to treat your symptoms in the house. Cozy compresses on the eye can help reduce the signs of these problems.
You need to additionally make certain that you wash your hands regularly, prevent wearing makeup or contacts, and prevent touching the eye.
If your eye redness is accompanied by discomfort or modifications in vision, you require to see your physician for therapy.
Your doctor will certainly ask you concerning your signs, your existing health and wellness conditions, and troubles that may have created inflammation to your eye. Your medical professional may additionally examine your eye and utilize a saline solution to wash out any kind of toxic irritants in your eye.
Relying on your medical diagnosis, your medical professional may recommend treatment that assists to relieve your signs. This would likely consist of prescription antibiotics, eye declines, and residence treatment as explained above.
Sometimes, where the eye is really irritated, your physician might suggest using a spot to restrict light direct exposure and help your eye heal.
What are the Complications of Eye Redness?
Most causes of eye redness will not lead to significant issues.
If you have an infection that triggers vision changes, this may impact your ability to carry out standard jobs such as cooking or driving. Vision problems in these areas can result in injury.
Infections that aren’t treated might likewise result in irreversible damage to the eye.
If eye redness does not settle in 2 days, you need to call your physician.
How Can you Prevent Eye Redness?
A lot of cases of eye redness can be protected against by utilizing correct health and avoiding irritants that can create redness.
Follow these suggestions to prevent eye redness:
- Laundry your hands if you’re exposed to somebody that has an eye infection.
- Get rid of all makeup from your eyes daily.
- Do not wear call lenses longer than recommended.
- Clean your call lenses routinely.
- Stay clear of activities that can cause eyestrain.
- Prevent materials that can trigger your eyes to become aggravated.
- If your eye becomes polluted, flush it out instantly with eyewash or water if eyewash isn’t readily available.