What Happen if You Eat Moldy Bread

Risk of Eating Moldy Bread

Moldy bread might not be what you would consider for lunch, however for some people – young college students and the homeless – it is an option, inning accordance with CNN Health. What happens if you eat moldy bread by accident? Eating moldy foods, including bread, can be dangerous due to the fact that you could be consuming mycotoxins, or fungal poisons. Some types of mold can cause food poisoning, which can make you ill and result in stomach cramps, fever, diarrhea, vomiting and nausea.

Types of Mold Growing on the Bread

There is no assurance that only one specific chain or kind of mold grows on bread. Jackson Kung’u, a microbiologist from the Mycological Society of America, keeps in mind multiple cases where human beings have consumed moldy bread and either became ill or passed away from doing so.

Depending upon the type of mold growing on the bread, it might include gangrenous ergotisms, alimentary toxic aleukia, Stachybotrys chartarum or aflatoxicosis. These are simply a couple of examples of the types of germs or fungis that can grow on bread. Naturally, this does not indicate that every mold is hazardous. Penicillium camembertii and Penicillium roquefortii, fusarium venenatum, aspergillus oryzae and other types of mold are used as food cultures for some foods, such as cheeses, and are harmless.

Information verified by the iytmed.com team.

How the Mold Spreads on Bread

By the time you see mold on the bread, the mold isn’t really just separated to the area that you can visibly see. Kung’u states that bread is porous and by the time you see mold on your bread, it is extremely likely that the entire piece, or loaf, is polluted with the mold. There needs to be a high number of mold spores present for mold to be noticeable. Mold tends to grow in warm, dark areas or where the area has a lot of wetness.

What Happens if You Accidentally Eat Moldy Bread?

Depending upon the kind of mold growing on the bread, you may develop gastrointestinal disorder or an unsafe food-borne disease. Some of these food-borne illnesses, such as salmonella, can be dealt with and treated, while others, such as Stachybotrys chartarum, can cause irritation of your mouth, nose and throat and cause shock, hemorrhage, dermal necrosis and death.


Avoid eating any foods that posture a possible risk or hazard to your health.

Also avoid consuming foods that appear to have mold on them or are older than their expiration dates. While not all mold is damaging, it’s much better to not take the possibility.

Reyus Mammadli

As a healthy lifestyle advisor I try to guide individuals in becoming more aware of living well and healthy through a series of proactive and preventive measures, disease prevention steps, recovery after illness or medical procedures.

Education: Bachelor Degree of Medical Equipment and Electronics.

Health Recovery Tips
Add a comment
  1. Clarence_1994

    I recently accidentally ate moldy bread and it became unclear what happens with a person when he eats a moldy bread. It was written in the flock that he could have gastrointestinal upset or dangerous food diseases,but I didn’t have it.