What are in the article?
Causes And Symptoms
Is a sharp pain during pregnancy normal? During pregnancy, your body will go through numerous changes as it adapts to the growing life inside of you. You will gain weight and your body will grow to accommodate your new baby. While this is natural and essential, it can cause some discomfort.
It can be difficult, especially for very first time moms, to determine between typical pains when there is a possible problem from a sharp pain during pregnancy.
Possible Causes of a Sharp Pain During Pregnancy
Among the most typical sharp pains that women report is a stabbing pain around the uterus, abdominal area or groin area. While this can be uncomfortable, in many cases it can be discussed by regular changes that take place during pregnancy.
Some common causes include:
- Constraining – You may experience sharp pain due to the cramping that takes place from the uterus expanding
- Gas and Bloating
- Round Ligament Pain – Round ligament pain can occur during second trimester and can cause a sharp pain in the abdomen on either or both sides. The pain is caused by the extending of the ligament that supports the uterus as the uterus grows.
Although the above conditions belong to typical pregnancy, they generally don’t cause sharp pain. If the sharp pain you are experience is localized on one side, it could be indicative of an ectopic pregnancy. This is a serious condition and requires urgent medical attention.
A pending miscarriage can also result in a sharp pain from the cramping. This raises concerns for expecting moms who need to know the difference between regular cramping related to the expanding uterus and cramping from a pending miscarriage.
Contacting your health care provide to discuss your symptoms is constantly a right choice.
Signs and Symptoms for a Sharp Pain During Pregnancy
In spite of the truth that sharp pain can be the result of regular pregnancy change, there are some indication that you have to keep an eye out for in case the sharp pain is the result of a problem.
Some indication include:
- If pain is accompanied with vomiting, fever, chills, heavy bleeding/blood circulation, or change in vaginal discharge
- If the sharp pain is continual after resting or adjusting (round ligament pain shouldn’t last more than a few minutes).
- If the pain makes it difficult to breathe, walk or speak.
If you experience any of the above symptoms contact your healthcare provider instantly.
What to Do If You Have Sharp Pain During Pregnancy
Calling your healthcare supplier is always an excellent step when finding a sharp pain during pregnancy.
If you are experiencing sharp or stabbing pain during pregnancy, there are some possible solutions that you can try to alleviate the pain:.
- Pregnancy safe stretches.
- Breathing exercises/controlled breathing.
- Explore sleeping and sitting positions.
- Go on a walk.
Once again, if the pain ends up being too intense or prevents you from doing day-to-day activities, call your health care carrier immediately. Talk to your doctor for more pregnancy-safe pain management concepts.