Will Hair Dye Kill Lice?
Lice may be small, however these parasitic bugs can cause major itching and irritate youa lot. They can grow quickly and pass from one person to another simply by sharing hairbrushes or hats. It is essential that you take actions to get rid of lice as quickly as you discover that you or your child has actually developed them. While there are many efficient methods to resolve the concern, some people believe that hair dye is similarly reliable. Can hair dye eliminate head lice?Keep reading to discover yourself.
Does Hair Dye Kill Head Lice?
Yes, there are instances when bleach and hair dye can eliminate both adult lice and nymphs (juvenile lice). Some brand names of hair dye contain chemicals that may be harmful to lice. Nevertheless, it shows inefficient versus lice eggs (nits) because the chemicals can not penetrate the shells. It indicates you will again develop the very same concern since these eggs will hatch in 7-10 days and you will find new lice in your head.
What it suggests is that hair dye can kill live lice in your hair, however you need to take some other steps also to get rid of those nits. Here is what you can do:
- Discover nits hideouts first. Adult female head lice lay nits at the base of your hair, near the scalp and behind the ears. They might likewise be at the neckline at the back of your head. Identify all these hideouts prior to going any even more.
- Get rid of the nit glue. For this, you have to apply a mixture of vinegar and water on your hair for about an hour. Be sure to use it to your scalp too. You can also soak your hair in vinegar for a long time for good effects. Then, comb your hair completely to remove the “glue” that nits use to stay attached to your scalp.
- Use combs particularly designed to get rid of lice. You can discover electronic combs that you can use on dry hair to kill lice. You can also add some Listerine to the ends of the comb and use it to remove lice.
- Get your preferred hair dye and apply it on your hair. Does hair dye eliminate head lice?You will understand for sure once you use it yourself. In theory, the chemicals in hair dye are powerful enough to kill living lice. You might wish to attempt it on a small area of your hair first to observe any modification. If it works, you can apply it on the rest of your hair. You can likewise think about dip passing away the hair and await 45 minutes to wash the hair.
- Use lice and nit hair shampoo. If you do not get great arise from hair dye, you can discover lice hair shampoo to kill the head lice and nits. Make certain to use a specifically designed lice comb after shampooing.
- Use heat to get rid of lice. After using your hair shampoo and lice comb, you have to treat your clothes and individual products to get rid of the staying lice. Bed-wetting, washering, or drying products will help kill the lice at a temperature greater than 130°F( 54.4°C). Make certain to re-treat your hair a minimum of when a week in the beginning and after that every 10 days.
Other Ways to Kill Head Lice
Does hair dye kill head lice? Yes, it does, however there are limitations. Hair dye is not effective against nits, so you need to use the lice comb and hair shampoo for better results. However, there are other methods to attain fantastic outcomes.
Laundering clothing, bed linen, hats, stuffed animals and towels with hot water (130°F or higher) and soap will help eliminate the lice. You need to likewise dry these products on a high heat setting for a minimum of 20 minutes.
It is easy to discover a number of non-prescription creams and shampoos that eliminate lice– Nix and Rid may assist in this regard.
You need to not be using OTC items if your child is under two years of age. The best option would be to use a fine-toothed comb on wet hair. Repeat every 3-4 days for a number of weeks. Speak to your pediatrician if you can use other treatments with combing.
If you find that the answer to “does hair dye kill head lice” is no, the possibilities are you remain in an area where lice have grown unsusceptible to these chemicals and many other OTC treatments. The only choice left in this case is to try prescription medications. You can attempt a prescription medication such as Malathion or a prescription cream like Ulesfia. A prescription hair shampoo like Lindane might also assist. However, it is important to bear in mind that although prescription medications work against head lice, they might produce numerous side effects as well.Here are more about these choices:
- Malathion is an efficient choice. You have to rub it into your hair and scalp. Make sure to keep it far from heat sources and prevent using it if you are pregnant or are breastfeeding your baby.
- Benzyl alcohol cream (Ulesfia) is another nice option to try. You have to use this cream straight in your scalp and hair. Leave it for 10 minutes then rinse it off with cool water. Use it once again after a week. Benzyl alcohol lotion may cause scalp, skin, or eye irritation, so use with care.
- Lindane may be effective, however you need to only use it when other alternatives have actually stopped working. It may not suit everyone as well as cause neurological side effects. Never ever opt for it as a first line of treatment.
Last modified: December 18, 2017