Moles, which are also referred to as melanocytic naevi in the medical neighborhood is generally a benign (non-cancerous) skin lesion that might happen anywhere on the body. They are dark brown or black in color and may appear alone or in a small cluster. Their texture differs from individual to person. For some they are smooth, whereas for others they may be coarse to the touch. In some cases they lie flat versus the skin, whereas in other cases they may be raised. Some even have hair growing from inside them whereas others don’t!
What are in the article?
- How do Moles Develop on the Skin?
- Types of Moles
- How to Remove a Mole
- Home Remedies to Get Rid of Moles on Face
- Apple Cider Vinegar for Moles
- Sodium bicarbonate and Castor oil
- Flaxseed oil, Ground Flaxseeds and Honey
- Tea Tree Oil
- Banana Peels
- Aloe Vera
- Mole Removal Creams: Are they Effective?
- Surgical Procedures Done by a Qualified Medical Professional
- Moles and Cancer
How do Moles Develop on the Skin?
Moles establish when melanocytes, a kind of skin cells that gives each of us our special pigment, grow in clusters, rather than being consistently distributed throughout the skin. That is why they are typically far darker than the surrounding area. They are usually triggered by hormone changes that might be caused by:
- Teenager age: Once a person “comes of age”, there are a lot of hormone changes that tend to take place. The incidence of moles will be the greatest during the teen years.
- Pregnancy: Pregnancy makes a great deal of changes in a female’s body. Although pregnancy does not usually result in the production of more moles, however existing moles have the tendency to end up being darker in color.
- Sunshine: Prolonged direct exposure to the sunlight might trigger the development of moles as well. Moles activated by sunshine are most likely to develop into melanoma, or skin cancer. Towards the end of this post, we will discuss the link between moles and skin cancer in further detail.
Once people reach middle-age (40 years onwards) the number of moles on the body tends to go down.
Researchers think that there is a genetic factor behind the production of moles. If you have a relative that has moles on their face or body then there is a higher probability that you may establish this condition at some stage in your life.
Types of Moles
Although all moles might look the very same to the untrained eye, on close assessment one can in fact see the subtle distinctions amongst various types of moles. Some of the most typical types are:
- Dermal melanocytic naevi: They usually extend from the skin and tend to have a pale shade. They might contain hair too.
- Junctional melanocytic naevi: They lie flat versus the skin, is round and is typically deep brown or black in color.
- Compound melanocytic naevi: They protrude from the skin also, is usually light brown in color and might include hair as well.
Following are some more uncommon types of moles:
- Blue naevi: They are dark blue in color.
- Halo naevi: In this case the mole or moles have a pale circular ring (or halo) that surrounds it. For some factor the skin loses all pigments around the edges of these moles.
- Dyplastic or irregular naevi (Clark naevi): These moles are somewhat large and looks a bit uncomfortable. They could be flat or might be raised in a bump and can appear in different shades.
How to Remove a Mole
For the most parts moles just look uncomfortable, aside from that they are definitely benign. However, if there is constant friction in the area, then it may get swollen. That being said, many people opt to get rid of their moles for simply visual reasons. It is recommended that a person should aim to get rid of the moles using specific simple to use and completely safe natural home remedy. If these do not help, then one must set a consultation with a skin specialist.
Please note that irrespective of what approach you decide to use to get rid of your mole, chances are that it might leave a small scar behind.
Home Remedies to Get Rid of Moles on Face
There are a number of natural home remedy that you can try to get rid of the mole that is eating at your self-esteem. Following are some examples:
Apple Cider Vinegar for Moles
Apple Cider Vinegar (ACV) is a strong natural acid that can help to remove moles by slowly burning them, triggering it to eventually scab and fall off. ACV is also understood for its anti-bacterial homes; thus it likewise secures the area from secondary infections.
Prior to you decide to use this treatment, you have to make sure that you are not adverse ACV. To identify that, take a bit of undiluted ACV and put it on an unaffected part of your skin. It should sting for a little bit, however it should be typical after a couple of seconds. If the sting is consistent, then you may dislike ACV and you have to pursue a different treatment.
If you can endure this treatment, then there are a couple of approaches that you can use ACV to treat your mole:
- Dip a cotton ball in ACV and press it against the afflicted area. Hold it in place utilizing gauze and medical tapes.
- Get rid of after an hour. Doing this when daily must get rid of your mole in about 10 days or earlier.
- To make this treatment much more efficient, use an emery board to carefully scrape the surface area of the mole.
- Apply ACV till the area goes white and after that let it dry naturally. This should allow you to burn the mole even quicker.
Take additional care to guarantee that you never consume undiluted Apple Cider Vinegar. For best results, use organic ACV that still has the “mother of vinegar” in it!
Sodium bicarbonate and Castor oil
There is a lot of anecdotal evidence that recommends that baking soda and castor oil can be combined to create a sluggish, but highly effective solution for moles. This is due to the fact that castor oil is purported to have discutient (the ability to disperse pathological development) properties. This treatment also lowers the possibilities of scars in the consequences.
Following is how you would tackle using this treatment:
- Take a teaspoon of baking soda and add about three or four drops of castor oil to it. Mix it effectively to create a gummy texture.
- Apply it on your moles right before you go to bed.
- Protect the area using adhesive bandages or gauze and medical tapes.
- Take it off and clean the area after you get up.
This must get rid of the moles in about a month.
Flaxseed oil, Ground Flaxseeds and Honey
Flaxseed oil works versus raised moles. It slowly loosens the mole from the edges, gradually enabling it to come off. Honey is anti-bacterial homes, which avoids the area from secondary infections and also has scar removal homes.
Following is how you apply the treatment:
- Wash the affected area with lukewarm water and pat it dry.
- Combine a teaspoon each of ground flaxseed powder, flaxseed oil and honey to make a smooth paste.
- Apply it on the moles and safeguard the area with gauze and medical tapes if you have to.
- Leave it on for an hour, after which clean it off with lukewarm water.
Repeating this treatment 3 times during the course of the day might eliminate moles in a couple of weeks.
Tea Tree Oil
Tea tree oil seems to work quite well for raised moles with a shallow root. There is scant clinical proof that supports this treatment, however there is plenty anecdotal evidence that appears to suggest that it is undoubtedly an efficient solution. It does have shown anti-bacterial residential or commercial properties, which will secure the area from secondary infections.
Similar to ACV, people can be delicate or adverse tea tree oil too. The best way to determine whether you are allergic or not would be to apply tea tree oil to an untouched part of your skin, to examine and see how your skin responds. If you feel a small sting that goes away after a couple of seconds, then this treatment is right for you. Nevertheless, if you feel a persistent burning experience, then you might dislike and must not pursue this treatment any further.
Following is how you would use tea tree oil to treat your moles:
- Dip a Q-tip in tea tree oil and gently brush it versus your mole.
- Cover the area with an adhesive bandage for an hour.
Repeat these 2 steps two times every day for a month. Among the recommended times for using this remedy is right before going to sleep. You need to not consume tea tree oil under any situation.
arlic contains enzymes that breaks down the anomalous cell structures that appear through a mole. To use this treatment, merely slice a piece of garlic clove, and use the cut side on the mole. Hold the clove in location using medical tapes. Leave it over night.
Repeating this garlic treatment every night before going to sleep should eliminate the mole in a few weeks.
There is a lot of anecdotal evidence that points to banana peels as a reliable treatment for moles. Merely cut a piece of the banana peel and place it on the mole, so that the yellow part of the peel is dealing with outwards. Hold it in place with adhesive tapes and leave it on for at least an hour. Duplicating this every day should eliminate the mole in a couple of weeks.
For best results, one needs to use the peel of a ripe banana.
Iodine has the tendency to trigger cell death, which can help eliminate moles. A 5% solution of cast iodine that is available at any pharmacy needs to do the trick.
Following is how you need to apply the treatment:
- Wash the afflicted area with lukewarm water and pat it dry.
- Take a piece of emery board and gently scratch the surface area of the mole.
- Use some petroleum jelly on the surrounding area. This will help safeguard the area from pigmentation.
- Use a drop of iodine directly on the mole.
- Protect the area with adhesive tapes or gauze and medical tapes.
Repeating this day-to-day must get rid of the moles in a couple of weeks. Iodine should not be ingested under any circumstance!
Among the main reasons this is a preferred treatment for many is that it is entirely painless, although most of the evidence supporting its usefulness is purely anecdotal. The fact that it is a natural sunscreen and is a topical anti-bacterial solution contributes to the reasons why it is a go to remedy for numerous!
Following is how you can use Aloe Vera to treat your moles:
- Wash the afflicted area with some lukewarm water and pat it dry.
- Take an aloe leaf and chop off its rinds to take it apart.
- Take a Q-tip and scrape the natural aloe gel from the leaf and apply it straight on your moles.
- Secure the area with gauze and medical tapes and leave it on for about 3 hours. Doing this for about 2 to 3 times everyday should eliminate the moles in about a month.
If you can not get hold of aloe leaves then acquire a bottle of organic aloe from your regional organic food shop.
Frankincense has been revered as a remedy for a variety of afflictions in a number of cultures throughout the ages. Although its effectiveness as a treatment for skin moles is purely anecdotal, it has documented astringent and anti-bacterial residential or commercial properties. There are several methods you can use frankincense to treat your mole:
- Frankincense bath: To create a bath, you require the following components:
- One cup of baking soda
- One cup of sea salt
- 6 drops of lavender essential oil
- 3 drops of frankincense oil
Add all the above active ingredients to a hot bath and immerse yourself in the water for about fifteen minutes every day.
Topical treatment: Take eight teaspoons of olive oil and add one teaspoon of frankincense to it. Mix the option thoroughly and gently use it to your moles with a Q-tip and let it get totally absorbed in the skin.
Using both the treatments must eliminate the moles in under a month. Nevertheless, if you feel that you are delicate to frankincense then you need to cease these treatments immediately!
Mole Removal Creams: Are they Effective?
Your regional drug store or online shops are most likely stocked with a wide variety of cheap, natural mole removal creams, a lot of which would most likely include the natural ingredients that we have actually talked about currently. They supply a substantial benefit over artificial or a chemical based mole ointments or creams, which might surpass the mole and cause irreversible damage to the underlying skin. Scars formed by surgical treatments (to be talked about later in this article) is minimal compared to the damage caused by these chemical options.
Natural mole elimination creams are inadequate on malignant moles, whereas chemical treatments will burn through the moles, irrespective of whether it is cancerous or benign. Hence this will postpone the diagnosis of the condition, allowing the cancer to reach an innovative stage. This is because even if you eliminate the mole, the cancerous cells might still exist under the skin, only they are no longer noticeable to the untrained eye. Avoid carrying out synthetic creams for eliminating moles unless particularly advised by a doctor.
Surgical Procedures Done by a Qualified Medical Professional
If the natural home remedy do not work, it may appear really tempting to slice off or shave off the mole by yourself. This is a horrible concept due to the fact that of the following factors:
- Among the reasons your mole is not responding to home remedies may be since you might be struggling with skin cancer. Slicing off the mole will not treat you of it and would postpone the detection of the condition.
- Most of us did not go to medical school and doing a surgery at home may cause us to nick an artery, which may be deadly.
- If the dressing is not applied appropriately, or if the devices has not been sufficiently sanitized, you may make yourself susceptible to secondary infections.
- You can not legally obtain local anesthetics, which suggests that you will cause yourself some major pain. Even if you do get hold of some, you would unknown how to administer it correctly.
- You are virtually guaranteed to be entrusted a scar.
As soon as you check out the doctor, he will first figure out whether a biopsy is needed or not. After that, he may eliminate the mole utilizing any of the following techniques:
- Surgical shave: This is usually done for benign moles with a distinct stalk. If done properly, there will not be any noticeable scars.
- Surgical excision: This belongs to a small operation and the entire mole is removed, even the part that is under the skin. This will be done especially if your doctor thinks that your mole is a symptom of skin cancer. Stitches will be necessary after the procedure and the excised mole might be sent out to a lab for a biopsy. Irrespective how skilled the skin doctor is, this procedure might leave a little bit of a scar.
- Freezing: Some dermatologists might choose to freeze your mole with liquid nitrogen. Once it is applied to the afflicted area, the mole will be easily broken off and there will be minimal bleeding. There will be a blister rather, which will heal in due time and typically there aren’t any long term scars either.
- Burning: If your skin specialist suggests this treatment, look for a second opinion since there are no practical causes for subjecting yourself to this procedure. In this treatment, specific layers of the mole are burnt off using a heated wire. It hurts, especially after the anesthetics wear away and typically more than one session is required. Nevertheless, the extreme heat immediately cauterizes the wound; hence there is minimal bleeding, if any.
- Laser treatment: Laser mole elimination is another efficient option however one can not use this to obtain rid of large moles or those that extend above the skin. It is usually recommended for flat moles that are black or brown in color. It usually takes about three journeys to the skin specialist’s office to fully remove the mole tissue with a laser. Although some cosmetic hair salons use this treatment as well, it is better to check out the dermatologist’s office to remove the mole safely because cosmetologists aren’t qualified to identify whether you are displaying symptoms of skin cancer or not. Second of all, somebody who does not have correct training might leave a scar that is bad as those triggered by artificial mole removal creams, which are usually even worse than scars triggered by surgical excision.
Moles and Cancer
In many cases, a mole is just a mole. However, in people with reasonable skin, a mole can slowly evolve into cancer malignancy, which is a type of skin cancer. Please note that in a lot more uncommon circumstances, cancer malignancy might establish in a part of the skin that might look perfectly regular.
If left undiagnosed and neglected, it can gradually spread to the other parts of the body, such as the brain, bone, lung or the liver, which can then be deadly for the victim. Earlier the cancer malignancy is identified and dealt with, greater will be the possibilities of survival.
As discussed currently, melanoma is more widespread amongst people with fair skin, instead of those who have a dark skin. In women, these malignant cells are usually discovered on the back or on the lower legs. In men, they are more frequently located on the head, neck or the back.
Although melanoma is relatively uncommon among those with a darker skin, they too might wind up experiencing it. The most common areas of skin cancer amongst such people are on the palm of the hand, the soles of the feel and also beneath the fingernails and toe nails.
A biopsy is the only fool-proof way to figure out whether you are suffering from cancer malignancy or not. Also, just a competent physician can competently evaluate whether you really need to undergo the procedure. That being stated, inning accordance with cancer.gov, the symptoms of melanoma normally follow the ABCDE rule. Following is what they are and how you should check for them:
- Asymmetry: One side of the mole is noticeably different from the other side.
- Border that is irregular: They do not have significant borders and it may seem as if the mole is spreading out from the affected area to the surrounding skin. Even where there are significant borders, the edges will seem truly sharp.
- Color that is irregular: The shade of the mole will not be uniform throughout. They are usually numerous shades of black, brown or tan. Often there may be areas in the mole that are blue, gray, pink, red or white in color.
- Size: There have been circumstances of really little moles developing into melanoma, nevertheless it is more common for moles having a size 6 mm (1/4″) to develop into cancer, supplied they are not cancerous already. Another telltale sign is that the diameter of malignant moles tend to increase with time.
- Developing: The mole, particularly the color of it will alter throughout weeks or months.
Please note that not all cases of cancer malignancy will show all of the five symptoms. There have been lots of instances of cancer malignancy where only one or two of the “ABCDE” symptoms were initially visible. Thus, if the characteristics of your mole match precisely what is discussed above, seek immediate help from a qualified dermatologist.