Restless Leg Syndrome
Restless Leg Syndrome can produce an unpleasant and agonizing life. Nevertheless, with correct treatment Restless Leg Syndrome does not have to rule your life. Continue reading to discover the causes and symptoms, along with management procedures for restless leg syndrome.
Those who have restless leg syndrome, also called RLS, discover that their legs feel as though they can never sit still. This is especially true when in a sitting position or when lying down. Considering that the individual can usually not be still, this is likewise considered a sleep condition, as it can disrupt sleep. Those who have RLS can establish this at any age and as an individual ages, they generally discover that the RLS becomes worse. Those who handle this day in and day out commonly find that they are drowsy throughout the day which they have problems with traveling. Fortunately is that there are numerous methods which an individual can assist to make sure that RLS is not managing their lives.
Symptoms of Restless Leg Syndrome
Those who have restless leg syndrome often find that they experience awkward sensations in their legs. These feelings are normally referred to as pins and needles, a scratchy feel or even as though something is crawling up their legs. When an individual is resting, is when these symptoms are even worse, hence the name of the syndrome. Those who do have these symptoms can have a moderate or severe case, it really depends upon the individual. Those who have severe symptoms are commonly pestered with sleep conditions as well, as their legs keep them awake throughout the night, or simply does not enable the individual to get comfortable enough to actually sleep.
What Causes Restless Leg Syndrome?
It is estimated that around 10 % of the United States population experiences restless leg syndrome. More women than men are influenced, nevertheless, it can influence anyone, at any age. Though, older adults are typically more prone to this. The good news is that once RLS is diagnosed, it can be treated with success. The causes for RLS can vary.
- One of the most typical causes is hereditary. Those who have moms and dads who have this are at an increased chance of having this themselves.
- Women who are pregnant can establish RLS, which is most typically seen in the last trimester. Nevertheless, most women after giving birth discover that the RLS is no more a problem.
- There are a couple of medical conditions that can be accompanied by RLS or make RLS worse. For example, iron shortage can make RLS even worse or be the cause of RLS. While, peripheral neuropathy and kidney failure can also be the reason for RLS.
Can Restless Leg Syndrome Be Diagnosed?
There is no set test that is used to identify RLS, thus diagnosis can take a couple of journeys to the doctor. However, medical professionals will eliminate other reasons for these symptoms with blood tests. Most doctors diagnose a patient based on the symptoms they are experiencing and their household history. Medical professionals likewise look at medications to make sure that this is not the result of something that a person may be taking. When being diagnosed with this, it can take several other tests to eliminate other concerns, while the doctor thinks about all the symptoms that an individual is feeling.
How to Treat Restless Leg Syndrome
There are several ways in which RLS can be treated. Lots of people discover that they can use home remedies to treat this on their own and suffer less from restless leg syndrome. While others find that they have to go to their doctor to obtain prescription medications.
- Adopting great sleep routines such as getting a set variety of hours of sleep each night and preventing any kind of stimulants such as chocolate, sugar or coffee.
- Having the right exercise regimen throughout the day that is not overworking the leg muscles and is not too late in the day, given that either can make symptoms even worse.
- Taking over the counter pain relief in order to help with the twitching and pain related to RLS. Things such as Ibuprofen which can assist to decrease the sensitivity that the individual may be feeling are handy.
- Making use of warm and cool packs and rotating these for the very best impact.
- Learning to unwind the body through using meditation or yoga as stress has been shown making RLS worse in numerous patients. Knowing the best ways to unwind the muscles with a warm bath and/or massage.
- Eliminating or cutting down on alcohol use, as this has been revealed to increase the symptoms of RLS. Not smoking as this can influence how bad the syndrome actually is.
- Taking a good multivitamin can assist to ensure that the RLS is not caused by vitamin deficiencies in the body.
- Avoid sitting in the very same position for too long as this can make the symptoms even worse.
Natural Treatments for Restless Leg Syndrome Video (dr.Axe)
There are likewise medications that can be taken, which is what an individual has to do if they find that changing their lifestyle has not assisted. The medications which can be help are listed below:
- Iron supplements can be taken if it is found the person has low iron which might be causing the RLS.
- Dopaminergic drugs which work on the dopamine neurotransmitters in the brain. Such drugs would be Mirapex, Neupro and Requip, all which have actually been authorized by the FDA to utilize in RLS patients.
- Benzodiazepines are likewise offered to those with RLS who are having problem with sleep.
- Pain relievers are given to those who are having intense pain connected with RLS.
- Anti-seizure drugs, known as anticonvulsants, are given to aid with the tremors that a person might feel in the legs. Common types of these drugs are Tegretol, Nuerontin, Lyrica and Horizant.
It is necessary to note that not every medication is going to assist an RLS patient. In reality, what assists a single person may not do anything for someone else who has the same issues. Medical treatment is commonly a trial and error procedure to find which drugs will assist to decrease the symptoms and help the person to sleep.
Last modified: August 11, 2016