What are in the article?
- What Is Skin Rash around Mouth?
- What Causes Skin Rash Around Mouth?
- What Are the Symptoms of Skin Rash Around Mouth?
- What Are the Treatment Options for Skin Rash Around Mouth?
- How Can I Prevent Skin Rash Around Mouth?
What Is Skin Rash around Mouth?
Skin rash around mouth (also known as perioral dermatitis) is an inflammatory rash eruption including the skin around the mouth. The rash might spread out as much as the nose or even the eyes. It usually appears as a scaly or bumpy rash around the lips. It can also often weep clear fluid. Redness and small itchiness and burning can likewise occur.
Skin rash around mouth is more common in women, but also tends to impact children and babies. Without the right treatment, cases of perioral dermatitis disappear, however may reappear later. Episodes of perioral dermatitis can last weeks as well as months.
What Causes Skin Rash Around Mouth?
The reason for skin rash around mouth is unknown. Nevertheless, research recommends that it can occur after the use of topical steroids on the skin, which might be prescribed to treat another condition. According to American Osteopathic College of Dermatology, nasal sprays consisting of corticosteroids can cause an outbreak of perioral dermatitis as well.
There is also evidence that particular ingredients in cosmetics can cause skin rash around mouth. Heavy skin creams which contain petrolatum or a paraffin base may cause or intensify this condition.
Other aspects that may trigger this condition include:
- bacterial or fungal infections
- constant drooling
- fluorinated tooth paste
- contraceptive pills
What Are the Symptoms of Skin Rash Around Mouth?
Perioral dermatitis usually appears as a rash of red bumps around the mouth and in the folds around the nose. The bumps may be scaly in look. The bumps can also appear in the area under the eyes, on the forehead, and on the chin. These little bumps can include pus or fluids and might resemble acne.
You might experience symptoms such as burning or itching, specifically as the rash intensifies.
How is skin rash around mouth (perioral dermatitis) diagnosed?
Your doctor or skin doctor can frequently detect perioral dermatitis with simply a visual assessment of your skin.
Your doctor may likewise carry out a skin culture test to dismiss a possible infection. During this test, your doctor will swab a little patch of skin in the afflicted area. They’ll send the sample to a laboratory to test the skin cells for bacteria or fungis. Finally, your doctor might carry out a skin biopsy, particularly if the rash doesn’t respond to standard treatments.
What Are the Treatment Options for Skin Rash Around Mouth?
Your doctor will identify your treatment based on the intensity of your condition. Sometimes, using mild soaps and discontinuing making use of heavy skin creams and fluorinated tooth paste might relieve symptoms. Medications may likewise speed healing.
The American Osteopathic College of Dermatology (AOCD) advises stopping making use of topical steroid creams or nasal sprays consisting of steroids, if possible. These items can make symptoms even worse. However, it’s essential to consult with your doctor before ceasing any medications.
Medications your doctor may prescribe to treat your condition include:
- topical antibiotic medications, such as metronidazole (Metrogel) and erythromycin
- immunosuppressive creams, such as pimecrolimus cream
- topical anti-acne medications, such as adapalene or azelaic acid
- oral antibiotics, such as doxycycline, tetracycline, minocycline, or isotretinoin, for more severe cases
What Is the Long-Term Outlook?
Skin rash around mouth is hard to treat and can last for months. According to the AOCD, after a couple of weeks of treatment, the condition can get worse before it enhances. In some individuals, perioral dermatitis becomes chronic.
How Can I Prevent Skin Rash Around Mouth?
Given that the causes of perioral dermatitis differ, there isn’t really a foolproof method to avoid getting it. Nevertheless, there are some things you can do to assist reduce it or to keep it from worsening:
- Avoid steroid creams and ointments unless specifically directed by your doctor. If another medical practitioner prescribes a topical steroid, make certain to let them understand that you have skin rash around mouth.
- Avoid using heavy cosmetics or skin creams. Ask your doctor about which moisturizers are acceptable to utilize. Try changing brand names if you decide to remain to make use of cosmetics.
- Switch to mild cleansers and moisturizers. Ask your dermatologist for recommendations that would best fit your skin.
- Limit the quantity of time your skin enters into contact with the components. UV rays, heat, and wind can aggravate skin rash around mouth. Some medications made use of to treat skin rash around mouth will also make your skin conscious the sun. Make certain to safeguard your skin if you’ll remain in the sun for long term durations.