The function of your surgery is to minimize the quantity of food you eat. After surgery you will be required making a number of nutritional changes. Bariatric surgery does not ensure weight-loss. It is very well to consider bariatric surgery as a device that you can use to assist you drop weight. To accomplish optimum weight reduction, you will be required to do your part. The following nutritional guidelines will be required for a successful weight-loss trip.
What are in the article?
Diet guide for patients after lap band surgery
- Eat 3 dishes each day. Avoid snacking between meals. Snacking can prevent weight loss or promote weight gain due to excess intake of calories.
- Chew foods gradually and thoroughly. You should take a minimum of 20 minutes to complete a dish. Put your fork down in between bites and practice chewing each bite around 27 times. Your food needs to be a paste consistency prior to you ingest. Cut food into small bites. Foods that are tough or chewy may not be tolerated.
- Eat small amounts. Your brand-new stomach will not have the ability to hold much food. Stop when you feel complete and do not overfill your pouch.
- Eat protein rich foods first. After surgery, your body will need appropriate protein to assist construct, repair, and maintain muscle tissue and organs. Protein deficiency can happen over an extended time period which can trigger fatigue, hair loss, and muscle wasting. You need to always eat high protein foods first such as lean meats, tofu, beans, and low fat milk items. You will also be encouraged to supplement with protein shakes or supplements to guarantee that you are fulfilling your specific protein requires.
- Prevent foods that are high in sugar and fat. To be effective with your weight loss and to prevent weight gain, you need to follow a well balanced diet. Foods that are high in sugar and fat are thought about “empty calories” and do not supply any vitamins or nutrients.
- Do not consume liquids with dishes. Stop drinking fluids 30 minutes prior to your mealtime, do not consume while you eat, and wait 30 minutes after your dish is finished to resume fluid consumption. This will:
- Avoid overfilling the stomach
- Keep you feeling full longer
- Keep food from flushing through your stomach too rapidly
- Limit caffeine. Caffeine may promote your hunger and may irritate your brand-new stomach.
- Consume 64 ounces of non-carbonated, sugar-free fluids daily. Avoid sodas, sweet teas, high calorie and high sugar juices, and alcohol. Plain water is ideal for hydration.
- Sip fluids gradually. Do not gulp fluids after surgery. This might trigger nausea or throwing up.
Dietary Stage 1 – Bariatric Clear Liquid Diet
Day 1 (in health center).
While you are in the health center, you will be served a bariatric clear liquid diet. Drink fluids slowly, do not gulp. Prevent consuming from a straw or bottle, as these methods can cause gas bubbles.
Stage 1 foods include:
- sugar-free popsicles.
- ice chips.
- caffeine-free, unsweetened tea.
- sugar-free Jell-o.
- clear broths (chicken, beef, vegetable).
- Crystal light or other sugar totally free drink blends.
Dietary Stage 2 – Bariatric Full Liquid Diet.
Day 2-14 (around 2 weeks post-op).
As soon as you are home from the health center, you might progress to a full liquid diet. A complete liquid must be a smooth, liquid consistency (no swellings or seeds). Your diet will consist mostly of protein shakes, cream soups, and clear liquids. Throughout this stage you may have little regular dishes. Be sure to take little tiny sips and stop when you feel complete or feel pressure. You might also have clear liquids between meals.
|4-8 ounce protein shake||1/2 – 1 cup milk||1/2 cup cream of chicken soup (strained)||4 ounce protein shake||1/2 cup of cream of mushroom soup (strained)||4 ounce protein shake|
Tips When Choosing a Protein Shake:
- Around 20 grams of protein per serving.
- Less than 200 calories per serving.
- Less than 10 grams of sugar per serving.
- No added sugars or oils.
Commonly Used Store-Bought Protein Shakes:
- EAS AdvantEdge Carb Control Shake.
- Sugar-Free Carnation Instant Breakfast.
- Muscle Milk Light (Lactose Free).
- Atkins Advantage Shake.
- EAS Myoplex Light.
- SlimFast Low Carb.
Stage 2 Shopping List.
- Creamed soups (strained).
- Campbell’s Soup at Hand.
- Low fat milk or light soy milk.
- Protein powder (flavored and unflavored).
- Sugar-free Jell-o.
- Sugar-free popsicles.
- Dannon Light and Fit Yogurt Smoothies.
- Non-fat dry milk powder.
Dietary Stage 3 – Bariatric Pureed Diet.
Days 14 – 28 (up until week 4 post-op).
At day 8 post-op, if you are enduring your full liquid diet well, you may advance to a pureed diet. All foods have to be blended to a baby food, soft consistency. Foods needs to be low in fat and sugar. You must chew your foods effectively and eat gradually. Do not consume with your meals. Wait 30 minutes prior to and 30 minutes after to resume fluids. Foods should be eaten in this order: high protein rich foods must be taken first, followed by vegetables, and finally fruit.
|1/2 cup low sugar yogurt1/4 cup unsweetened applesauce||1/2 – 1 cup of low fat milk||1/2 cup pureed creamy chicken salad (use low fat mayo)1/4 cup pureed carrots||4 ounce protein shake||1/2 cup small curd cottage cheese1/4 cup pureed pears||1/2 cup sugar free protein pudding|
Stage 3 Shopping List:
- Measuring Cups.
- All phase 1 and phase 2 foods.
- Fat-free gravies.
- Low fat broth (chicken, beef, vegetable).
- Low-fat mayo.
- Ground/Pureed meats.
- Canned tuna, salmon, or chicken (crammed in water).
- Low-sugar yogurts (ex: Dannon light and fit, Kroger Carbmaster, Greek yogurt).
- Sugar-free pudding.
- Little curd cottage cheese.
- Low fat ricotta cheese.
- Plain oatmean (or Quaker Weight Control oatmeal).
- Vegetables and fruits (must be pureed).
- Unsweetened applesauce.
- Baby food fruits and vegetables.
- Fat-free refried beans.
- Cooked beans – mashed and pureed.
Dietary Stage 4 – Bariatric Soft-Solid Diet.
Week 5 post-op.
As soon as you have endured 2 weeks of pureed foods, you might progress to your final dietary phase. Foods must be soft, but do not have to be combined or pureed. Constantly chew foods effectively and eat slowly. Avoid foods that are high in fat, calories, or sugar. Usage low-fat cooking methods with very little oil or fat. Remember your dish progression. High protein foods should ALWAYS be consumed initially.
Sample Menu: (Portion sizes will vary by patient. Always stop eating when you feel full.)
|1 scrambled or poached egg1/2 cup canned peaches (in own juice)||string cheese||1/2 cup chicken salad1/4-1/2 cup cooked squash and zucchini||4 ounce protein shake||3 ounces of baked salmon1/4-1/2 cup cooked green beans||1/2 cup yogurt|
To take full advantage of weight reduction, the following foods must be AVOIDED:
- Breaded or Fried Foods.
- Snack Crackers.
- Potato Chips.
- Muffins, pies, pastries and cookies.
- Candy (consisting of sugar-free).
- Ice Cream.
- White Flour and White Flour Products.
- Sugar Coated Cereal.
- Alcohol (forever)
- Soda (consisting of diet).
- Whole milk.
- High fat meats such as: bacon, sausage, hotdogs, bologna, vienna sausage, spam, potted meat, bratwurst, etc.
Phase 4 Shopping List:
- All phase 1, 2 and 3 foods.
- Protein Rich Foods:
- Skinless chicken busts.
- Fish fillets (salmon, tuna, tilapia, halibut, etc.).
- Canned or vacuum sealed tuna, salmon, or chicken.
- Cottage cheese.
- Low-sugar yogurts.
- 97 % fat free luncheon or deli satisfies.
- Low fat cheese (string, 2 % cubed cheese, 2 % cheese slices).
- Beans (white, pinto, navy, black, etc.).
- Oatmeal (plain or low sugar – e.g. Quaker Weight Control).
- Vegetables – fresh, frozen or canned– cooked soft.
- Green beans.
- Fruits – fresh, frozen (no added sugar), canned (packed in own juice).
- Mandarin Oranges.
- Unsweetened Applesauce.
After you are enduring soft foods well, you might gradually advance to a “bariatric solid” diet. Present brand-new structures carefully. You should chew thoroughly and eat gradually. Skins, seeds, nuts, and hard chewy meats need to not be consumed till you are enduring your iet well. Wait 12-16 weeks prior to presenting these food items. You will eventually be able to tolerate a variety of food groups. to obtain sufficient protein, you might have to supplement between meals with a protein shake or high protein snack.
Ways to Mentally Prepare for Dieting
- Do not eat in front of the TELEVISION.
- Do not check out while taking.
- Do not eat while working.
- Pre-portion food.
- Keep tempting foods out of the house.
- Keep healthy, nutritious foods IN your house.
- Concentrate on activities besides taking (workout, pastimes, music, art, etc.).
- Brush your teeth after meals (prevent self from eating more).
- Do not stand at the food table at celebrations.
- Park your vehicle awy from your location.
- Take the stairs instead of the elevetors.
- Keep a food diary and exercise daily.
- Count your protein grams and fluid ounces daily.
- Get at least 8 hours of sleep every night.
You will also have to supplement with vitams.
Follow-Up Visits With The Dietitian:
Dietitian follow-up visits are essential to successful weight-loss following surgery. These sees are free of charge as a service to all of our bariatric patients.