An ACL or anterior cruciate ligament injury shows some damage to one of the ligaments in your knee. Any injury can harm these strong bands of tissue called ligaments. The ACL is the connection in between your shinbone and your thighbone. By working with other ligaments, the ACL assists keep your leg bones and knee in place while running or walking. Overstretching can hurt the ligament, however it may also be partly or entirely torn due to other serious injuries.
Can You Walk with a Torn ACL?
Yes, you can continue to walk after sustaining an ACL injury, however it typically depends on how painful the injury is. If you do not feel severe pain and are in a position to preserve your balance, you can definitely walk. Nevertheless, it is important to avoid twisting movements while walking with a torn ACL Your doctor might likewise recommend you to begin walking right after you have actually recuperated from your injury or do not feel serious pain.
Most of the times, it is a good idea to talk with your doctor prior to you begin putting pressure on your affected leg. Often, any motion after the injury can cause a small tear to appear in the ligament. This tear might result in bleeding and your knee may swell too. When this happens, you may feel out of balance and unsteady. It is better to avoid walking in this situation.
How Do You Know You Have a Torn ACL?
Can you still walk with a torn ACL? Yes, you can, however it is much better to ask your doctor before bearing weight on your affected leg. It is important to point out that experiencing pain in your knee is not constantly due to a torn ACL. If it is undoubtedly a torn ACL, you may experience the following also.
- You may hear a popping noise when you injure your knee. The exact same popping sound can be seen when the ACL tears.
- You may experience intense pain, which might be more like a sensation of burning, burning, or intense pain.
- You may develop major swelling in your injured knee, which may worsen within 5-6 hours of injury.
- You might not have the ability to flex or correct your knee after having a torn ACL. Severe ACL injuries make it difficult to put weight on the affected knee.
Emergency Treatment for a Torn ACL
Depending upon the severity of your injury, you may experience some relief by using some easy natural home remedy immediately after sustaining an injury. For instance, applying an ice pack to the affected knee might help in reducing pain and swelling. You can likewise use an ACE wrap to help reduce swelling and accelerate recovery.
- For the first 2-3 days, adhere to ice just. You ought to apply ice for 15 minutes, then take a break for 10 minutes and then repeat again. This must continue for 2-3 days to assist reduce swelling.
- It is likewise crucial to brace the knee after an ACL tear. However, you do not always need it. In reality, depending on how severe your injury is, you might be much better off keeping away from bracing or debilitating the knee.
- You might think about using crutches for assistance. This becomes important if you think that your knee is not completely steady yet. Crutches will assist prevent falls.
In case of a severe injury, it is very important to speak with your doctor who will request X-rays and other imaging tests to assist identify the best treatment alternative. A swollen knee is usually a good enough indication that you are dealing with an ACL tear. Still, X-rays help make a better decision, therefore do MRIs. An MRI assists determine if you have actually torn your meniscus also or if there is any damage done to your articular cartilage too.
It is essential to bear in mind that you need to do everything you can to decrease swelling due to the fact that this helps speed up recovery. Faster recuperate ensures less muscle atrophy. In any case, it is a great idea to take advantage of physical therapy to minimize pain and gain strength back in your weak muscles. Even if your doctor has suggested surgery, going for physical therapy might still help you get better results.